Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jon Patrick

Right now Patrick is taking a nap so I have a little time to add some details to the blog. So...here's the labor/delivery story:

Friday I went to work at 10 and felt fine. After being there a couple hours I started to feel a little different and by 1:30PM I started having contractions. They were far apart and I thought they would go away like they always did. That night Jon and I were out at my parent's house(Jani, Tiffany and her kids were visiting so we had gone out to have dinner)and the contractions kept getting closer together. I was sleeping out there that night since Jon was working and by 3:00AMish the contractions were getting pretty close and pretty painful. Everyone stayed up because we were all anxious that this might be the real thing. I called Jon so he left work and we went up to the hospital and by 5:00AM we were admitted. Dr. Prince came in and broke my water which made the contractions closer and a lot more painful. I just have to say one thing. I am never going to have a child naturally if I can help it. Honestly, I about passed out each time a contraction came. And I puked...either I'm a wimp or my body just doesn't handle labor well. Anyway, by 8 I got an epidural which was soo heavenly. Honestly, after all my worry of needles, I couldn't even feel it. They checked and I was dilated to an 8 by the time the epidural took effect and they said the delivery would come pretty quickly. A little while later I started pushing but little Patrick did not want to drop. And, the umbilical cord was tangled so he was getting stuck and my hours of pushing were doing no good. By 2:00PM, Dr. Prince came in and said I had two options: using a vacuum or a c-section. He said the vacuum had high risk since the baby was so high and it wasn't guaranteed but he wanted to be optimistic and try it before the c-section. So, I pushed for awhile more and every time Dr. Prince said it was the last push before going to a c-section, our little guy moved just enough for him to keep going. Finally, at 2:49 PM on July 23rd(which was his very original due date), little Jon Patrick was born. Patrick was under a lot of stress so they didn't have time to let Jon cut the umbilical cord or anything but we were just happy he was out and healthy. By that time I was so tired from not sleeping or eating the night before that I had a hard time focusing on much, but it was an amazing feeling seeing our little guy and knowing that he was ours to take care of. I have to admit he looked a little alien-like because they used 4 different suction cups trying to get him out so his head was about 3 times to long, but that went away by the next day. Since then, we've enjoyed being new parents. It's exhausting but also great. :) He's super cute and has a sweet little personality. He's easily comforted and loves to cuddle all day long. He still thinks night time is awake time and day time is sleep time which has been a little hard(and I might have had a little breakdown from it Monday night) but last night we made a huge discovery about feeding and I think it will get better from now on. Here's some new pictures of our little cutie :)


I'm pretty sure my mom and dad are enjoying being grandparents. :)




Sometimes I use a pump and dad gets to feed Patrick. I just thought his hands were cute all curled up

His first bath outside of the hospital

Patrick and Uncle Derek

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Natalie! Your little boy is SUPER ADORABLE!!! Being a mommy is the best job in the world! Good luck with everything! And don't forget to take care of yourself. :) You look awesome by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We are so happy for you, and seriously, he is WAY cute! Isn't it so amazing how your fear of needles just goes away with those contractions. Richard had a hard time watching the needle going into my back because of how huge it is, but if he only knew... haha! The needle is nothing! Oh, I bet it's so fun having that sweet little one. Kinda makes me want another one. *sigh* I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to meet him...er...hold him. ;)

    ReplyDelete