Friday, May 18, 2012

Rexburg

In my last post, I mentioned that we might be in Rexburg forever because of Jon's new job.  One week down and Jon is really enjoying everything about the company.  Next week he starts on a big project and he's pretty excited about it.  I've made it no secret that I really want to move away from Rexburg, so while I was really excited for Jon, it's also a little hard for me to give up my dream of living in California...close to the coast...in San Diego with perfect weather...and palm trees...etc. ;)  That's just me dreaming because who's to say he would have found a job in California.  Anyway, I love being around family but I've always made it clear that it would be nice to experience life away from this little town for at least a couple years.  Honestly, I don't know if Jon will stay with this company forever or if he'll get another offer somewhere else in a few years, or make his millions developing apps(wouldn't that be nice ;)), but since I've had to think of being here awhile longer, I'm starting to appreciate things about Rexburg that I've always taken for granted.  Like, how great is it that I can walk to the park without the fear of getting mugged?  Or, how great is it that a temple is 5 min. away from our house?  And, how great is it that my son will grow up feeling safe and surrounded by people who love him?  I've even started noticing how great parts of Rexburg are starting to look.  This little town is growing, and some of the landscaping is really nice.  Jon and I will occasionally take drives up by the temple just to relax and enjoy how nice everything looks up there.  Sometimes we even dream about living in one of those crazy large houses, too. ;)  So, while I will always despise the cold temperatures(I really can't emphasize enough how much I hate this) for 9 months of the year, and while I still dream of traveling all over the place, Rexburg is starting to re-grow on me.  And who knows, maybe we will move someday but if not, I'm starting to be ok with that.

2 comments:

  1. I hear your complaints about Rexburg, especially the cold! I must say, however, that living thousands of miles away from home helped us appreciated home a lot more! We learned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There will always be pros and cons to every place we live... concentrating on the good is the key to contentment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got to Rexburg and even though I come from an even smaller, safe town, I'm amazed at how friendly and honest it feels here! People leave all sorts of things on their porches in our community and nothing is ever stolen (though, occasionally borrowed by a small child)! We haven't had to endure a winter, but so far so good. I'm learning to like it here. California is pretty too though. ;)

    ReplyDelete