Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day

Confession: I've always hated Valentine's Day. Ok, not always but from the age of 16ish on I dreaded the holiday. I have to admit that I am horrible at getting gifts! Horrible. I think I know someone and then as soon as I have to do something planned and special, I have no idea what to do. So, I didn't hate Valentine's day because I was always single but because I always had to figure out something to do for a boy. Girls are supposed to be the romantic ones with creative ideas and boys are supposed to be the insensitive ones. And, I know Valentine's Day is more about guys showing their affection but I always felt like I should do something. And, at the age of 16, what says "I like you" but that's not too mushy or dumb? Even in college, I had no idea what to do for guys I dated. Anyway, I'm just glad I married the man I did and that I know him as well as I do and that he is totally happy with me getting him brown licorice and handwriting a card. Because honestly, between him and I, I'm not the romantic one. At least, not the planned romantic one. :) Our Valentines Day consisted of me feeling sick and him sleeping. Although, he was sweet enough to wake up early and take me to a late dinner at Carinos where I could get salad(another blessed food) and some tortelloni. Thankfully, my love of italian food hasn't totally gone away during pregnancy. I thought it was sweet of him to get up early because he'd only slept a couple hours sunday night before work, then went to school the next day, then slept only 4 hrs. before going to dinner with me. And, he had work again that night and had school the next day so really he just went sleep deprived from Sunday-Tuesday afternoon. We also did a mini celebration on saturday since we knew there wouldn't be a lot of time on Monday. I'm not going to be all mushy on here because it's not really my style(as if I had one) but, I just have to say I'm glad I married the man I did and that I am soo totally comfortable around him and I know that no matter what dumb little gift idea I come up with, he'll be totally thrilled. And then he, of course, always thinks of something cute to do to make me feel special-not only on Valentine's Day but on any day of any old week.

On a non-valentine note: we just found out a few days ago that my dad has a tumor in his bladder. Yesterday they did surgery and removed part of the tumor(some was impossible to get) and took samples of tissues around it to see how aggressive the cancer is. He will mostly likely have more surgery next week to hopefully get more out. Or, if the cancer is super aggressive, to maybe have his whole bladder removed. I don't know. We find out more today...hopefully. Honestly, my dad is an amazing man. He's always been a rock in the family and in the church. Between my mom and my dad, I've had two great examples. I think the two of them have been thru more trials in their lives then most and because of their attitudes, the trials have always made us stronger as a family. And, they've been great examples to me of what love is. So, as I'm typing this, my mom is living at the hospital doing anything she can for my dad because she loves him so much and my dad is being incredibly strong because he knows that things always work out how they should. He never doubts or wavers from that knowledge. I know trials are hard, but it's always a blessing to see just how deep my parent's love for each other goes as they try to support each other thru things.

5 comments:

  1. We are putting your dad in every prayer we have had since I found out. Your family is amazing and are incredibly strong. I've always loved seeing how loving your parents are to each other. One thing I've always admired about your dad is how he gives kisses to your mom EVERY time he walks out the door. No matter how small an errand. We miss you guys terribly and wish we could be there to help out where we can. We love you guys and will continue to keep you all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika. You guys are awesome and too far away! :) Although, I can't say I'm not slightly jealous of all your adventures. I'm getting Rexburg fever, or whatever you want to call it. In other words, I wish we could come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie!
    So I found your blog, through Erika's! yay:) It is fun to see what you are up to! Oh and when you said you ate Italian for v-day, it brought back the vivid memory of when you fed Jon chicken Alfredo that was old and he didn't even say anything!! haha so funny! glad you two are doing well, that is exciting that you are expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley! Thank you! Jon still doesn't let me live down the fact that I fed him rotten alfredo. ha ha However, my cooking skills have improved greatly so I haven't given him food poisoning since we've been married. Quite a feat for me. Anyway, I'm glad we can blog stalk each other ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha. Oh man. I forget about the Alfredo until it gets brought up again and makes me laugh every time. :)

    Nat, we wish you guys could come share our adventures with us. I can't wait to be closer again though! It's great being here, but I miss family. I'm glad to hear your dad is improving. Such a relief to hear. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers! :D

    ReplyDelete